posted on November 10, 2022
posted by John Scalzi
We are back to this time of year, where people start thinking about their holiday gifts, and at least some of you think books are the perfect gift. Well, they are! But would even more perfect have these books signed and personalized. Every year, I join Jay and Mary’s Book Center in Troy, Ohioto sign and personalize books so you have them available to give to the people you love, including yourself.
From today (November 10) until Monday, December 5, you can order books I’ve written from Jay and Mary and I’ll come sign them for you, then the bookstore will send them to you (US only). The last two years have been marred by COVID and/or supply chain issues, but luckily this year most things seem to be going smoothly. Nevertheless, I strongly encourage you to place your orders early, so that there are no delays in shipping books this holiday season.
1. Call Jay & Mary’s at their 800 number (800 842 1604) and let them know that you would like to order signed copies of my books. Please call rather than email; they find it easier to track things that way. If you have trouble with the 800 number, their direct number is (937 335 1167).
2. Tell them which books you would like (for example, The Kaiju Preservation Society), and what names, if any, you would like the book signed. If there’s anything specific you’d like to see written in the books, let them know, but for their sake and mine, keep it brief. In addition, if you order the book as a gift, make sure you are clear on whose name the book is signed. If it’s not clear, I’ll avoid using a specific name.
3. Order any other books you might like, written by other people, because you’ve already called a bookstore for books, and helping local independent bookstores is a good thing. I won’t sign them unless you want to for some evil reason, in which case, of course, why not.
4. Give them your mailing address and billing information, etc.
5. And that’s all! Shortly after, I’ll be going to the store and signing your books for you.
Still, the deadline for signed/personalized books for 2022 is December 5th. After December 5, all Scalzi stock will still be signed and available, but I probably won’t be able to customize.
Also, it is open to US addresses only. Sorry, rest of the world. It is a shipping cost.
What books are available?
CURRENT BOUND COVER: The Kaiju Preservation Society is the current hardcover version. The Last Emperox may still be available in hardcover; interrogate. 2018 Hardcovers Head on and The consuming fire may be available if you specifically request them. The mini hardcover of The Old Man’s War is also available and is an excellent format for this book.
CURRENT SALES BROCHURE: The Dream of Android, Agent of the Stars and fuzzy nation, red shirts (winner of the 2013 Hugo Prize), 21st century science fiction (which contains one of my stories), Metatropolis (which I edited and to which I contributed a short story) are available in pocket format. The may be hardcovers of these always there if you ask. But everyone is definitely in pocket trading. There are probably still commercial paperback editions of The Old Man’s War which can be ordered if you prefer this format. Also available: Robots vs. Fairies, the anthology which presents my story which was adapted for the episode “Three Robots” of the Netflix animated series Love, Death and Robots.
CURRENT MASS MARKET BROCHURE: The entire Interdependence series (The collapse of the empire, the consuming fire and The Last Emperox) are available, both individually and in a set. The Old Man’s War book series (The Old Man’s War, The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony, Zoe’s Tale, The Human Division and The end of all things) are available individually, and the first three of these books also come in their own box set. Lock in, head down and Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden’s Syndrome (new) are also available individually. Fuzzy Nation, star agent and Android’s Dream have recently transitioned to paperback commerce, but consumer editions are likely still available if that’s your preference. Please note: If you order the boxes, if you want them to be signed, you will have to agree to let me remove the plastic film. In return, I will sign each of the books in the box.
CURRENT NON-FICTION: Your hate mail will be noted (collection of essays, Hugo winner), The Mallet of Loving Correction (also an essay collection, this will need to be specially ordered as this is a signed limited edition), signal of virtue (a third collection of essays, will also require special order) and Don’t live for your obituary (a collection of essays on writing will also have to be specially ordered).
AUDIO BOOKS: The Kaiju Preservation Society, The Last Emperox, The Consuming Fire, The Collapse of the Empire, The Dispatcher, The End of All Things, Lock Up, Head on, The Human Division, Redshirts, Fuzzy Nation, The God Engines, Metatropolis and Star Agent are all available on CD and/or MP3 CD, and Jay & Mary’s should be able to order them especially for you. Ask them about other titles, which may or may not currently be available on CD.
Two things about audiobooks: one, if you want some, you should probably call to order them ASAP. Second, and it is important, since the audiobooks are shrink wrapped, I will need to remove the shrink wrap to sign the cover. Your ordering a signed audiobook means that you are ok with me doing it and having Jay & Mary ship it to you shrink-wrapped.
If you have any other questions, post them in the comment thread and I’ll try to answer them!